Microsoft certifications are continually evolving and upgrading to ensure that you are updated with today’s IT business standards. The AZ-104 exam leads to a Microsoft Azure Administrator associate certification.
When the AZ-103 test was retired at the end of August 2020, the AZ 104 was created to replace it. The exam included more computer, storage, and governance services. The AZ-104 certification emphasizes identity management and implementation by leveraging Azure AD for your organization’s hybrid or on-premise architecture, role-based Azure resource control, and management and subscription of various directories and user access.
The topics covered in this blog are:
- What is Azure Administrator Certification?
- Who Can Do This Certification?
- Benefits of AZ-104 Certification
- AZ-104 Exam Details
- AZ-104 Exam Skills Measured
- How to Register for Azure AZ 104 Exam
- Pre-requisites for AZ-104 Certification
- AZ 104 Study Guide
- AZ-104 Exam Retake Policy
What is Azure Administrator Certification?
Microsoft AZ 104 for those who implement, manage and monitor identity, governance, storage, compute, and virtual networks in a cloud setting. The AZ-104 Microsoft azure administrator is responsible for provisioning, sizing, monitoring, and adjusting resources as needed.
Are you new to Azure Cloud? Do check out our blog post on the Microsoft Azure Certification Path and choose the best certification for you.
Who Can Do This Certification?
Following people can do this Azure AZ 104 certification:
- Individuals who sell or purchase Cloud-based solutions and services or who are involved with Cloud-based solutions and services in any way.
- People with a technical background should test their administrator-level understanding of Cloud services.
- The AZ-104 certification exam improves your abilities while also demonstrating them to potential employers, allowing you to stand out.
Benefits of AZ-104 Certification
There are many advantages of doing the Microsoft AZ-104 exam; some of them are mentioned below:
- AZ 104 exam helps to validate technical skills in Microsoft Azure, such as storage, networking, computation, security, and other Cloud operations.
- Microsoft AZ-104 is one of the highest-paying information-technology certifications in the world.
- It recognizes your knowledge, skills, and expertise on a global scale.
- If the company is looking for people who are familiar with Oracle Cloud, AWS, Azure, and other similar platforms, the chances of getting hired increase drastically.
- The demand for AZ-104 Microsoft Azure administrators is fast expanding as a result of the increased demand for it. Having a CV with this certification will provide you will give you an upper hand.
- Azure AZ 104 Certification leads to a significant increase in both career opportunities and remuneration.
- Nearly 70% of people believe that AZ-104 certification has increased their earnings, and 84 percent believe that certification has elevated their career prospects.
- Adding this AZ-104 exam qualification to your LinkedIn will improve your job profile and raise your chances of being chosen.
Check Out: Azure Data Factory Interview Questions
AZ-104 Exam Details
Exam Name Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator Certification Exam Duration 150 Minutes Exam Type Multiple Choice Examination Number of Questions 40 - 60 Questions Exam Fee $165 Eligibility/Pre-Requisite None Exam validity 2 years Exam Languages English, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese
Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator Certification
Multiple Choice Examination
Number of Questions
40 - 60 Questions
English, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese
AZ-104 Exam Skills Measured
Manage Azure identities and governance 15-20% Implement and manage storage 15-20% Deploy and manage Azure compute resources 20-25% Configure and manage virtual networking 25-30% Monitor and back up Azure resources 10-15%
Manage Azure identities and governance
Implement and manage storage
Deploy and manage Azure compute resources
Configure and manage virtual networking
Monitor and back up Azure resources
How to Register for Azure AZ 104 Exam
You can register for the Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam (AZ-104) by going to the Official Microsoft Page.
Pre-requisites for AZ-104 Certification
The azure AZ 104 Administrator Certification does not require any prior expertise. Students need to have a basic understanding of computer networking concepts, which you can pick up along the road. This certification will cover everything from basic, and you don’t need to worry about anything else.
AZ-104 Study Guide
Manage Azure identities and governance (15–20%)
Manage Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) objects
- Create users and groups
- Create administrative units
- Manage user and group properties
- Manage device settings
- Perform bulk user updates
- Manage guest accounts
- Configure Azure AD join
- Configure self-service password reset
Manage role-based access control (RBAC)
- Create a custom role
- Provide access to Azure resources by assigning roles at different scopes
- Azure Subscriptions
- Azure Resource groups
- Azure Resources (VM, disk, etc.)
- Interpret access assignments
Manage subscriptions and governance
- Configure Azure policies
- Configure resource locks
- Apply and manage tags on resources
- Manage resource groups
- Manage subscriptions
- Manage costs
- Configure management groups
Implement and manage storage (15–20%)
- Configure network access to storage accounts
- Create and configure storage accounts
- Generate shared access signature (SAS) tokens
- Manage access keys
- Configure Azure AD authentication for a storage account
- Configure access to Azure Files
- Export from Azure job
- Import into Azure job
- Install and use Azure Storage Explorer
- Copy data by using AZCopy
- Implement Azure Storage replication
- Configure blob object replication
Configure Azure files and Azure Blob Storage
- Create an Azure file share
- Create and configure Azure File Sync service
- Configure Azure Blob Storage
- Configure storage tiers
- Configure blob lifecycle management
Deploy and manage Azure compute resources (20–25%)
Automate deployment of virtual machines (VMs) by using Azure Resource Manager templates
- Modify an Azure Resource Manager template
- Configure a virtual hard disk (VHD) template
- Deploy from a template
- Save a deployment as an Azure Resource Manager template
- Deploy virtual machine extensions
- Configure Azure Disk Encryption
- Move VMs from one resource group to another
- Manage VM sizes
- Add data disks
- Configure networking
- Redeploy VMs
- Configure high availability
- Deploy and configure virtual machine scale sets
Create and configure containers
- Configure sizing and scaling for Azure Container Instances
- Configure container groups for Azure Container Instances
- Configure storage for Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
- Configure scaling for AKS
- Configure network connections for AKS
- Upgrade an AKS cluster
Create and configure Azure App Service
- Create an App Service plan
- Configure scaling settings in an App Service plan
- Create an App Service
- Secure an App Service
- Configure custom domain names
- Configure backup for an App Service
- Configure networking settings
- Configure deployment settings
Configure and manage virtual networking (25–30%)
Implement and manage virtual networking
- Create and configure virtual networks, including peering
- Configure private and public IP addresses
- Configure user-defined network routes
- Implement subnets
- Configure endpoints on subnets
- Configure private endpoints
- Configure Azure DNS, including custom DNS settings and private or public DNS zones
Secure access to virtual networks
- Create security rules
- Associate a network security group (NSG) to a subnet or network interface
- Evaluate effective security rules
- Implement Azure Firewall
- Implement Azure Bastion
Configure load balancing
- Configure Azure Application Gateway
- Configure an internal or public load balancer
- Troubleshoot load balancing
Monitor and troubleshoot virtual networking
- Monitor on-premises connectivity
- Configure and use Azure Monitor for Networks
- Use Azure Network Watcher
- Troubleshoot external networking
- Troubleshoot virtual network connectivity
Integrate an on-premises network with an Azure virtual network
- Create and configure Azure VPN Gateway
- Create and configure Azure ExpressRoute
- Configure Azure Virtual WAN
Monitor and back up Azure resources (10–15%)
Monitor resources by using Azure Monitor
- Configure and interpret metrics
- Configure Azure Monitor logs
- Query and analyze logs
- Set up alerts and actions
- Configure Application Insights
Implement backup and recovery
- Create a Recovery Services vault
- Create and configure backup policy
- Perform backup and restore operations by using Azure Backup
- Perform site-to-site recovery by using Azure Site Recovery
- Configure and review backup reports
AZ-104 Exam Retake Policy
- First and foremost, if a candidate fails the exam on the first attempt of the AZ-104 exam, he or she must wait 24 hours before retaking the exam.
- If he or she fails on the second attempt of Azure AZ-104, they must wait 14 days before taking the exam again.
Note: In a given year, an applicant is allowed a maximum of five retakes.
After receiving comments on the AZ-100, AZ-101, and AZ-103 exams, Microsoft designed and released the AZ 104 exam. This new Azure AZ-104 exam aims to make it easier for you to become a successful Azure Administrator. Take the test if you want to advance your AZ-104 Microsoft Azure Administrator profession. This certification will allow you to strengthen your abilities and demonstrate them to potential employers, allowing you to stand out from the crowd.
- DP-203: Microsoft Azure Data Engineer Associate Exam Study Guide
- DP-100: Microsoft Azure Data Scientist Associate Exam Study Guide
- PL-300: Microsoft Power BI Data Analyst Associate Exam Study Guide
- DP-300: Microsoft Azure Database Administrator Exam Study Guide
- AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Engineer Exam Study Guide