In this post, we will discuss with you how to prepare and pass the Microsoft Azure DP-300 Exam (Microsoft Azure Database Administrator Associate) successfully.
The topics covered in this blog are:
- DP-300 Exam Overview
- Who is Azure Database Administrator?
- Why Learn Azure Database Administrator?
- Azure Database Administrator Responsibilities
- Benefits of DP-300 Certification
- Who Can Do This Certification?
- DP-300 Exam Details
- DP-300 Exam Skills Measured
- How to Register for Azure DP 300 Exam
- Pre-requisites for DP-300 Certification
- DP 300 Study Guide
- DP-300 Exam Retake Policy
- DP 300 Exam Day Tips
DP-300 Exam Overview
The Microsoft DP-300 is developed for Azure database administrator. They are responsible for the maintenance, security, and availability of databases, as well as performance monitoring and optimization of existing relational database systems.
This certification is an objective for Data Architects, Data Professionals, and for people who are handling data and databases available on Microsoft Azure.
Are you new to the Azure cloud? Do check out our blog post on the Azure Certification Path 2023 and choose the best certification for you.
Who is Azure Database Administrator?
The Azure Database Administrator is responsible for managing the database, availability, and security. They are responsible for monitoring the performance and efficiency of modern relational databases. They should be familiar with T-SQL. They are computer system administrators who can manage a successful database environment.
Their primary responsibility is to keep data safe from loss and corruption, as well as to make it conveniently available when required.
Why Learn Azure Database Administrator?
In today’s fast-changing world, data is at the heart of all operations and applications. There is no way to start or run a process without data. Databases are used to store, manage, and organize data. Based on the functionality and architecture of the database, the company will be positioned to compete with other organizations in the field.
Database management is one of the critical responsibilities that has risen to the top of the priority list for enterprises. They preserve the quality of data. They are accountable for handling data online as well as offline. Most firms depend on data for making their judgments and policies hence they hold a high place or status for the individuals who can maintain enormous databases safely.
Azure Database Administrator Responsibilities
- Migrating existing instances to Azure database
- Monitoring the performance of Azure cloud database
- Ensuring highly secured security for data in the cloud and having disaster Recovery
- Backup and restoration Database’s present in Azure Cloud
Benefits of DP-300 Certification
- Demand for Database Administrators is increasing. They occupy a prominent place in every industry.
- Certification leads to a significant increase in both career opportunities and remuneration.
- Updating your profile using this certificate can improve your career profile and increase your odds of being chosen.
Who Can Do This Certification?
You may be questioning Am I qualified for this Certification…?? Here is the solution for you
- People who want to be involved in maintaining databases.
- Data Professionals, Database Architects, and Application developers.
- IT experts that have a deep grasp of data processing languages, such as SQL.
- Data administrator who can manage the quality of data and keep data safe
- Candidates who have understanding on Azure Fundamentals.
Check Out: Azure Data Factory Interview Questions and Answers
DP-300 Exam Details
Exam Name Exam DP-300: Administering Relational Databases on Microsoft Azure Exam Duration 150 Minutes Exam Type Multiple Choice Examination Number of Questions 40 - 60 Questions Exam Fee $165 Eligibility/Pre-Requisite None Exam validity 2 years Exam Languages English, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese
Exam DP-300: Administering Relational Databases on Microsoft Azure
Multiple Choice Examination
Number of Questions
40 - 60 Questions
English, Japanese, Korean, and Simplified Chinese
DP-300 Exam Skills Measured
Implement a secure environment 15–20% Plan and implement data platform resources 15–20% Monitor and optimize operational resources 15–20% Plan and implement a High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HADR) environment 15–20% Perform administration by using T-SQL 10-15% Perform automation of tasks 10-15% Optimize query performance 5-10%
Implement a secure environment
Plan and implement data platform resources
Monitor and optimize operational resources
Plan and implement a High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HADR) environment
Perform administration by using T-SQL
Perform automation of tasks
Optimize query performance
How to Register for Azure DP 300 Exam
You can register for the Microsoft Azure Database Administrator Associate Exam (DP-300) by going to the official Microsoft page.
Pre-requisites for DP-300 Certification
- There aren’t any particular prerequisite certifications necessary to gain before taking this exam.
- A general understanding of IT abilities will be advantageous.
- Individuals who design applications that distribute content from SQL-based relational databases are the best candidates for the DP-300 Azure Database Administrator Associate Exam.
DP 300 Study Guide
Plan and Implement Data Platform Resources (15-20%)
Deploy resources by using manual methods
- Deploy database offerings on selected platforms
- Configure customized deployment templates
- Apply patches and updates for hybrid and IaaS deployment
Recommend an appropriate database offering based on specific requirements
- Evaluate requirements for the deployment
- Evaluate the functional benefits/impact of possible database offerings
- Evaluate the scalability of the possible database offering
- Evaluate the HA/DR of the possible database offering
- Evaluate the security aspects of the possible database offering
Configure resources for scale and performance
- Configure Azure SQL Database for scale and performance
- Configure Azure SQL Managed Instance for scale and performance
- Configure SQL Server in Azure VMs for scale and performance
- Calculate resource requirements
- Evaluate database partitioning techniques, such as database sharding
- Set up SQL Data Sync
Evaluate a strategy for moving to Azure
- Evaluate requirements for the migration
- Evaluate offline or online migration strategies
- Evaluate requirements for the upgrade
- Evaluate offline or online upgrade strategies
Implement a migration or upgrade strategy for moving to Azure
- Implement an online migration strategy
- Implement an offline migration strategy
- Implement an online upgrade strategy
- Implement an offline upgrade strategy
Implement a Secure Environment (15-20%)
Configure database authentication by using platform and database tools
- Configure Azure AD authentication
- Create users from Azure AD identities
- Configure security principals
Configure database authorization by using platform and database tools
- Configure database and object-level permissions using graphical tools
- Apply principle of least privilege for all securable
Implement security for data at rest
- Implement Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
- Implement object-level encryption
- Implement Dynamic Data Masking
- Implement Azure Key Vault and disk encryption for Azure VMs
Implement security for data in transit
- Configure server and database-level firewall rules
- Implement Always Encrypted
Implement compliance controls for sensitive data
- Apply a data classification strategy
- Configure server and database audits
- Implement data change tracking
- Perform a vulnerability assessment
Monitor and Optimize Operational Resources (15-20%)
Monitor activity and performance
- Prepare an operational performance baseline
- Determine sources for performance metrics
- Interpret performance metrics
- Configure and monitor activity and performance at the infrastructure, server, service, and database levels
Implement performance-related maintenance tasks
- Implement index maintenance tasks
- Implement statistics maintenance tasks
- Configure database auto-tuning
- Automate database maintenance tasks
- Azure SQL agent jobs, Azure automation, SQL Server agent jobs
- Manage storage capacity
Identify performance-related issues
- Configure Query Store to collect performance data
- Identify sessions that cause blocking
- Assess growth/fragmentation of databases and logs
- Assess performance-related database configuration parameters
Configure resources for optimal performance
- Configure storage and infrastructure resources
- Optimize tempdb performance
- Optimize data and log files for performance
- Configure server and service account settings for performance
- Configure Resource Governor for performance
Configure a user database for optimal performance
- Implement database-scoped configuration
- Configure compute resources for scaling
- Configure Intelligent Query Processing (IQP)
Optimize Query Performance (5-10%)
Review query plans
- Determine the appropriate type of execution plan
- Identify problem areas in execution plans
- Extract query plans from the Query Store
Evaluate performance improvements
- Determine the appropriate Dynamic Management Views (DMVs) to gather query Performance information
- Identify performance issues using DMVs
- Identify and implement index changes for queries
- Recommend query construct modifications based on resource usage
- Assess the use of hints for query performance
Review database table and index design
- Identify data quality issues with duplication of data
- Identify the normal form of database tables
- Assess index design for performance
- Validate data types defined for columns
- Recommend table and index storage including filegroups
- Evaluate table partitioning strategy
- Evaluate the use of compression for tables and indexes
Perform Automation of Tasks (10-15%)
Create scheduled tasks
- Manage schedules for regular maintenance jobs
- Configure multi-server automation
- Configure notifications for task success/failure/non-completion
Evaluate and implement an alert and notification strategy
- Create event notifications based on metrics
- Create event notifications for Azure resources
- Create alerts for server configuration changes
- Create tasks that respond to event notifications
Manage and automate tasks in Azure
- Perform automated deployment methods for resources
- Automate Backups
- Automate performance tuning and patching
- Implement policies by using automated evaluation modes
Plan and Implement a High Availability and Disaster Recovery (HADR) Environment (15-20%)
Recommend a HADR strategy for a data platform solution
- Recommend HADR strategy based on RPO/RTO requirements
- Evaluate HADR for hybrid deployments
- Evaluate Azure-specific HADR solutions
- Identify resources for HADR solutions
Test a HADR strategy by using platform, OS, and database tools
- Test HA by using failover
- Test DR by using failover or restore
Perform backup and restore a database by using database tools
- Perform a database backup with options
- Perform a database restore with options
- Perform a database restore to a point in time
- Configure long-term backup retention
- Manage Azure SQL Database long-term backup retention
Configure HA/DR by using OS, platform, and database tools
- Configure replication
- Create an Always-on Availability Group
- Integrate a database into an Always-on Availability Group
- Configure quorum options for a Windows Server Failover Cluster
- Configure an Always-on Availability Group listener
- Configure failover cluster instances on Azure VMs
Perform Administration by Using T-SQL (10-15%)
Examine system health
- Evaluate database health using DMVs
- Evaluate server health using DMVs
- Perform database consistency checks by using DBCC
Monitor database configuration by using T-SQL
- Assess proper database auto grow configuration
- Report on database free space
- Review database configuration options
Perform backup and restore a database by using T-SQL
- Prepare databases for Always-on Availability Groups
- Perform transaction log backup
- Back-Up a Transaction Log
- Perform restore of user databases
- Perform database backups with options
Manage authentication by using T-SQL
- Manage certificates
- Manage security principals
Manage authorization by using T-SQL
- Configure permissions for users to access database objects
- Configure permissions by using custom roles
DP-300 Exam Retake Policy
The DP-300 exam retake policy is as follows:
- If a candidate fails on the first attempt, they must wait for 24 hours before retaking the exam.
- If a candidate again fails on the second attempt, then the candidate will have to wait for 14 days.
- A candidate will be given a maximum of five attempts to retake an exam in a year.
DP 300 Exam Day Tips
- Don’t overthink any of the answers. There are no difficult circumstances in this certification exam. Either an answer is correct or incorrect.
- If you can’t find the correct answer, choose the option that is as near to it as possible. Use the hints and terms in the question to your advantage.
- Don’t go into too much detail while reading a DP-300 exam question, and don’t try to relate it to your own experiences. Get a sense of perspective and focus on the question at hand. Follow the instructions in the question and don’t come up with any extra or alternative situations in your mind.
In this Azure tutorial, we discussed What is Azure Database Administrator Certification, Who Can Do This Certification, benefits, Exam Details, Study Guide, and much more.
I hope you enjoyed this article!!!
Q1. Can I get a job with DP 300 certification?
Yes, you can get a job with a DP-300 certification. The DP-300 certification demonstrates that you have the knowledge and skills required to work with Microsoft Azure databases, and it is highly valued by employers.
With a DP-300 certification, you may be eligible for job roles such as Database Administrator, Database Developer, Data Engineer, or Cloud Solutions Architect, depending on your experience, skills, and other qualifications.
Q2. How much does it cost to take the DP 300 exam?
The DP 300 exam costs $165 USD.
Q3. What is the passing score for DP-300 exam?
The passing score for the Microsoft DP300 exam is 700 out of 1000 marks.
Q4. How long is DP-300 valid for?
DP-300: Administering Microsoft Azure SQL Solutions Certification will remain valid for one year.
Q5. How long is the DP-300 exam?
DP-300 exam is 150 minutes long.
Q6. How many questions are there in the DP-300 exam?
The Administering Microsoft Azure SQL Solutions DP-300 exam has 40-60 questions.
1 thought on “DP-300: Microsoft Azure Database Administrator Exam Study Guide”
This really answered my problem, thank you!