The Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant certification exam is the best milestone for you if you want to work with some of the world’s biggest companies.
The Microsoft Power Platform certification tests your ability to configure Microsoft Dataverse, create applications using Microsoft PowerApps, and manage other Power Platform tools.
As a Microsoft Power Platform certified consultant, the PL-200 certification can unlock innumerable benefits, including validating your skills and getting recognition.
Let’s learn more about the PL-200 certification in this article
Table of Contents
PL-200 Certification Overview?
PL-200 is an intermediate-level certification. In PL-200, you learn to automate workflows with Power Automate, customize applications with PowerApps, and sort and filter data with Power BI in order to add value to a business. As well as performing functions, you will:
- Discover new information
- Consult with stakeholders and domain experts
- Transform requirements into actionable steps
- Set up Microsoft Power Platform solutions and tools
- Enhance the app by adding new features
- Implement custom UX, data conversions, and system integrations
Moreover, this certification will also test your technical skills in the following areas:
- Dataverse configuration
- Customizing Microsoft PowerApps applications
- Managing business processes with Microsoft PowerAutomate
- Building Chatbots with Microsoft Power Virtual Agents
- Using Microsoft PowerApps with third-party apps and services
- Other Power Platform tools and solutions
Are you new to Azure Cloud? Do check out our blog post on the Microsoft Certification Roadmap 2023 and choose the best certification for you.
Who Is Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate?
A Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate builds and implements solutions that leverage power apps, Power BI, and power virtual agents.
They gather requirements and then implement Microsoft Power Platform solutions in collaboration with an organization’s stakeholders, such as solution architects, developers, and testers.
They develop model-driven, canvas, and portal applications. Additionally, they design chatbots using Power Virtual Agents and analyze data using Power BI visualizations and dashboards.
Besides designing applications, they also create custom user experiences, system integrations, data conversions, process automation, and visualizations.
Who This Certification Is For?
There are innumerable professionals and domains that can take the PL-200 certification exam. If you belong to a leading role such as the following, the PL-200 exam is right for you:
- Functional Consultant
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- IT Manager
- Business Intelligence Professionals
- Business Intelligence Consultant
- Agile Developer
- DevOps Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Enterprise Architect
- Solutions Architect
Why PL-200 Certification?
There are countless reasons to achieve the PL-200 certification. You can:
- Become a Microsoft Power Platform certified consultant and validate your skills.
- Explore Microsoft Power Platform components.
- Learn how to use Microsoft Power Platform and Dataverse components to accomplish mission-critical actions.
- Manage permissions and the administration of Dataverse ecosystems.
- Take your business to the next level by leveraging Power Platform solutions.
- With PL-200 certification, you also have the chance to work with some of the world’s biggest companies like Apple, Meta, Avantiico, Ernst & Young, Capgemini, Deloitte, Planet Technologies, Visualbi, etc.
- Your salary range will be greatly increased by PL-200 certification. Every day, the tech landscape gets more complex, which increases the need for certified professionals. As a result, your credentials and salary can be upgraded.
Benefits of PL-200 Certification
The following are the benefits of PL-200 certification:
- You can get recognized as a Microsoft Power Platform Solutions Consultant.
- By learning about Power Platform components and identifying the business areas that are impacted by them, you can stay on top of the technology curve.
- You understand how to design a technical solution using Power Platform components and Dataverse, formerly Common Data Service.
- You learn how to manage the permissions and administer the Dataverse environment.
- Also, the Power Platform is an emerging technology, and with a certification at the Associate level, you will be able to stay competitive in the job market.
- You get the chance to develop next-generation solutions for global leaders like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, etc.
- Moreover, PL-200 certification by Microsoft was introduced recently, and you can become a proud member of the Power Platform community if you become one of the first certified candidates
PL-200 Exam Details
PL-200: Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant
English, Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish
Multiple-choice and Multiple response questions
PL-200 Exam Skills Measured
Configure Microsoft Dataverse
Create apps by using Microsoft Power Apps
Create and manage process automation
Describe Microsoft Power Virtual Agents
Import and visualize data by using dataflows and Power BI
Define an environment strategy
How to Register for PL-200 Certification Exam
You can register for the Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate Exam (PL-200) by going to the Official Microsoft Page.
Prerequisite for PL-200 Certification
The PL-200 exam has no official prerequisites. However, the following skills are recommended by Microsoft professionals and subject matter experts before starting the PL-200 exam prep process:
- A basic understanding of Microsoft Power Platform
- The fundamentals of model-driven applications
- The ability to customize and manage Dynamics 365
- Adapt Microsoft Power Platform elements to customize and extend services like Teams, Excel, and Word.
PL-200 Exam Study Guide
Configure Microsoft Dataverse (20–25%)
Manage a data model
- Create or modify standard, activity, or virtual tables
- Configure table ownership
- Create new tables or modify existing tables
- Determine which type of relationships to implement including 1:N and N:N
- Configure table relationship behaviors including cascading rules
- Create new relationships or modify existing relationships
- Create new columns or modify existing columns
- Create alternate keys for tables
- Configure table properties
- Configure connection roles
- Configure Dataverse search
- Configure auditing
- Perform data management tasks including import, export, and bulk deletion
- Configure duplicate detection settings
Configure security settings
- Create and manage business units
- Create and manage security roles
- Create and manage users and teams
- Create and manage column security
- Configure hierarchy security
- Configure Microsoft Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) group teams
- Manage sharing
- Diagnose security issues
Create apps by using Microsoft Power Apps (15–20%)
Create model-driven apps
- Create and configure multiple form types
- Use specialized form components
- Create and configure views
- Determine which reporting options to use including embedding Microsoft Power BI or using Fetch-based reports
- Configure site maps and compose model-driven apps
- Share a model-driven app
- Configure custom pages
- Create and configure business rules
- Configure modern commanding
Define use cases for canvas apps
- Identify when to use a canvas app
- Describe canvas app structure
- Describe form navigation, formulas, variables and collections, and error handling
- Run Microsoft Power Automate flows based on actions that occur in a canvas app
Build Microsoft Power Pages
- Configure pages, forms, and navigation
- Configure advanced Power Pages features
- Configure website security including web roles and page access
- Describe use cases for templates
- Implement registration options
Create and manage process automation (20–25%)
Create cloud flows
- Describe types of flows, use cases, and flow components including when to use a classic workflow
- Describe common connectors, triggers, and actions
- Implement logic controls including branches, loops, conditions, error handling, and variables
- Implement dynamic content and expressions
- Test and troubleshoot flows
Create and manage business process flows
- Configure a business process flow
- Add stages, workflows, and action steps to a business process flow
- Manage the business process flow table for a business process flow
- Configure advanced logic
Create classic workflows
- Configure a workflow
- Troubleshoot workflows
- Manage workflow logs
Describe Microsoft Power Virtual Agents (10–15%)
Identify use cases for Power Virtual Agents
- Identify chatbot environments
- Describe chatbot skills and AI capabilities
- Identify options for security
Identify components of Power Virtual Agents
- Describe topics
- Describe entities
- Identify use cases for fallback topics
Import and visualize data by using dataflows and Power BI (10–15%)
Consume Power BI in Microsoft Power Platform
- Add Power BI tiles to model-driven apps and canvas apps
- Add canvas apps to a Power BI dashboard
- Trigger Power Automate flows from Power BI alerts
- Use Power BI in Power Pages
Create and use dataflows
- Import data to Dataverse using Power Query
- Schedule dataflow runs
- Describe Power Fx
Define an environment strategy (10–15%)
Participate in Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)
- Describe use cases for App checker and Solution checker
- Create and manage solutions
- Describe the difference between managed and unmanaged solutions
Describe interoperability with other services
- Add apps to Microsoft Teams
- Create Teams channels
- Identify when to use the on-premises data gateway
PL-200 Exam Retake Policy
Here is how you can retake the Microsoft Exam PL-200
- Those who are unable to pass the exam on their first try must wait for a minimum of 24 hours before making another attempt.
- A minimum gap of 14 days is necessary for candidates who fail the exam for the second time before attempting it again.
- If someone attempts the exam for the fourth or fifth time, they must also wait for a period of 14 days before attempting it again.
For professionals looking to enhance their skills and expertise in the Microsoft Power Platform, the PL-200 certification is great. With this certification, you can demonstrate your understanding of PowerApps, Power BI, and Power Virtual Agents.
Additionally, you’ll learn how to manage permissions and manage Dataverse ecosystems. There’s a wide range of professionals who can get this certification, including functional consultants, data analysts, IT managers, developers, and enterprise architects.
By getting the PL-200 certification, you’ll be recognized as a Microsoft Power Platform Solutions Consultant. You can also develop next-generation solutions for companies around the world.
So, if you want to stay on top of the technology curve and be competitive in the job market, get the PL-200 certification.
Q1. Is the PL-200 exam difficult?
PL-200 is considered a moderate to a difficult level exam by Microsoft. This certification covers various topics related to the Microsoft Power Platform, such as data modeling, automation, and customizing Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI.
Q2. Is PL-200 certification worth it?
Yes. With PL-200 certification, you get a thorough understanding of the various components that make up the Microsoft Power Platform. In this way, you can identify which business areas require these components, keeping you ahead of the competition.
Q3. Who should take the PL-200 Certification Exam?
The PL-200 Certification Exam is designed for individuals who want to demonstrate their expertise in Microsoft Power Platform functional capabilities, including business analysts, developers, solution architects, and IT professionals.
Q4. How long is the PL-200 Certification Exam?
The PL-200 Certification Exam is 180 minutes (3 hours) long.
Q5. How many questions are on the PL-200 Certification Exam?
The PL-200 Certification Exam consists of 40-60 multiple-choice questions.
Q6. What is the passing score for the PL-200 Certification Exam?
The passing score for the PL-200 Certification Exam is 700 out of 1000.
Q7. How much does it cost to take the PL-200 Certification Exam?
The cost to take the PL-200 Certification Exam varies by location, but it is typically around $165 USD.
Q8. How long is the PL-200 Certification Exam valid for?
The PL-200 Certification is valid for one year from the date you pass the exam.
Q9. What career opportunities are available with a PL-200 Certification?
A PL-200 Certification can lead to career opportunities as a business analyst, developer, solution architect, or IT professional specializing in Microsoft Power Platform. It can also help you stand out in job applications and potentially lead to salary increases or promotions.